The Basel Winter Arbitration School will take place on 5-10 February 2023 at the Law Faculty of the University of Basel, Switzerland’s oldest university.
The school will feature prominent arbitration practitioners and academics covering different types of public, private and hybrid arbitration, and will include speakers from international arbitration institutions headquartered in Switzerland and other countries.
The school’s interactive six-day programme aimed at young professionals will introduce participants to different types of arbitration as well as related practice development and career opportunities.
The Winter School curriculum includes classes on:
- procedural aspects of key international dispute resolution institutions, including Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA), UNCLOS arbitration, The Hague Rules on Business and Human Rights, investor-state arbitration, international commercial arbitration, arbitration and mediation at the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)
- transparency, digitalization, and diversity aspects of international dispute resolution
- oral and written advocacy skills as well as careers in arbitration.
Confirmed faculty members include:
- Prof. Anna Petrig, University of Basel
- Prof. Yarik Kryvoi, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Ignacio de Castro, WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre
- Prof. Anne Peters, Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law
- Dr. iur. Dražen Petrović, Administrative Tribunal of International Labour Organisation
- Judge Liesbeth Lijnzaad, International Tribunal Law of the Sea
- Martin Doe, Senior Legal Counsel at Permanent Court of Arbitration
- Dr. iur Christopher Boog, Schellenberg Wittmer
Learning at the Winter School will involve:
- acquiring theoretical and practical arbitration skills in various fields of adjudication
- gaining knowledge on key transversal topics and practical skills
- networking opportunities with top academics, practitioners and international civil servants
- better understanding of various career paths in international arbitration
- exposure to novel teaching methods and a collection of teaching materials
- certificate of attendance.
Read more and apply here.